Gaza: "If we die, we die together. No one has to deal with the heartbreak."

Sonntag, 25. August 2024

 

Am letzten 23. August veröffentlichte das Portal Electronic Intifada kurze Texte des palästinensischen Dichters und Lehrers Refaat Alareer. Ihr Thema: der Krieg in Gaza. Zu sagen, sie seien erschütternd, ist nur ein Teil der Wahrheit. Du liest, was du bisher viel zu oft in Videos gesehen sahst: den Schmerz der Eltern, die Angst um die Kinder. Er sagt das einfach, etwa so:

As a parent, I feel desperate and helpless. I can’t provide the love and protection I am supposed to give my kids. Instead of often telling my kids “I love you,” I have been repeating for the past two weeks: “Kids, eat less. Kids, drink less.” And I imagine this being my last thing I say to them and it is devastating.

Oder so:

A Palestinian in Gaza born in 2008 has witnessed seven wars: 2008–2009, 2012, 2014, 2021, 2022, 2023A and 2023B. And as the habit goes in Gaza, people can be seven wars old, or four wars old. My little Amal, born in 2016, now holds a BA in wars, having lived through four destructive campaigns.

Refaat Alareer beschreibt die seelischen Phasen im Umgang mit dem Krieg, die die Menschen in Gaza durchmachen müssen: Leugnung, Angst, Schweigen und Erstarrung, Hoffnung, Verzweiflung und Aufgeben.

Am 6. Dezember 2023 ermordete ihn Israel. Sein ältestes Kind, Shymaa, starb mit ihrem drei Monate alten Sohn und ihrem Gatten am 26. April dieses Jahres.

The big question Palestinian households debate is whether we should sleep in the same room so that when we die, we die together, or whether we should sleep in different rooms so some of us may survive.

The answer is always that we need to sleep in the living room together. If we die, we die together. No one has to deal with the heartbreak.

 

The unpublished genocide diaries of Refaat Alareer

Refaat Alareer